My job is so hard, and this country is so unforgiving! But with that said, I feel even worse for my students. I can't imagine what the deep psychological effects of living in this country for a long time are. Most of my students leave home at 6:30 a.m. and after clubs and cram schools they don't get home until about 9 or 10 at night. If they are lucky, they are able to finish their homework on the train or in between classes. They tell me that if they study hard they will be able to get a good job and be happy, but I don't remember ever seeing any happy businessmen. On Friday nights, you might be convinced that the hordes of businessmen are having a great time, but in reality it's a cultural requirement to go out with your boss after a long work-week. Lower ranking members of the office have to serve and treat the higher-ranking ones, which if it's anything like my office work parties, it's awkward and forced, with thinly veiled cliques. It's like nobody is allowed to control their life and pleasure here; well, except for the Yanki's I guess.
Here's to hoping that I can try and change that, at least for a few kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment